Harmony Clean Flat Responsive WordPress Blog Theme

TV Shows vs. Movies

Thursday, January 31, 2013 Papillon 0 Comments Category :

I am addicted to TV Shows... seriously, I am! My boyfriend says that as long as there's a hint of a plot I'll watch it. Well... not sure if it's exactly like this... I like to think I'm a little bit more selective than that, but... oh well!

I think I favor TV Shows because you have time to build a relationship with the characters, much like a book. I'm a girl of long relationships, I like to get to know my characters during a long period of time, discovering new nuances and layers, exactly like meeting a new friend. With a movie, you really don't have that kind of time. In two hours, three if you're watching something epic, you'll receive just the necessary amount of information about the characters, just enough for you to forge a sort of relationship with them. When it comes to TV Shows and movies I guess the key word is "relatable". It's so important to have characters with whom the audience can relate to....

I'm the kind of gal who really connects with people, real or fictional. I can really feel what they are feeling and I like to put myself on other people's shoes, to see life as they see it. This is why I cry a lot with movies, shows, books and commercials. Yes, commercials, I know, but what can I say? (you can laugh now!) When it's a really good commercial I can get really emotional.

In the last couple of years, we have seen a shift in the movie and TV businesses. If before TV starts tried to jump to movies (see George Clooney and more recently Katherine Heigl), nowadays we are watching more and more movie stars on TV. At the top of my mind:

- Glenn Close in Demages (brilliant!)
- Claire Danes in Homeland (I just have no words for her performance)
- Kerry Washington in Scandal (only one of the best TV Shows EVER)
- Kevin Bacon in the new TV Show everyone is talking about, The Following
- Alec Baldwing as funny as ever in 30 Rock
- Charlie "crazy as hell" Sheen in Two and a Half Men
- Sally Field in Brothers and Sisters (wonderful!)

Why is this happening? Is the audience in general favoring TV Shows as I am? Do people stay more at home? What can really justify such a big change in these two businesses? 

I guess we are all in need of bigger stories, maybe more profound ones, stories that explore more of the ambiguities of humankind, stories that portrait our zeitgeist, but also other decades and World History (see Downtown Abbey!!)... Maybe we just want to connect, to create the relationships I've mentioned above. Maybe we just want to get to know these people...

It's funny the effect a TV Show can have on you... My relationship with the girls from Sex and the City is such an important mark in my life. Seriously! I miss those girls and every now and then I go back to old episodes (which I know by hard right now) and laugh and cry at exactly the same situations as I did the first time. The years I've spent watching those girls taking down Manhattan, were also the years when I was building my dreams, trying to figure out what I wanted to do in my life, and also falling in and out of love, and they were always there! To make me think, cry, laugh, relate, consider, reconsider... it was a comfort really.

So this is why I do prefer TV Shows over Movies and I'm so happy TV is really getting better and better and the new TV Shows are just beaming with talent! There's a whole new season of shows coming and I really can't wait!

I'll keep you posted ;)

xx


RELATED POSTS

0 comments